Pages

Don't blink. You'll miss it.

Lions and Bears, and Killer Whales! oh my!

It's been months, I know. I have been busy at the store, but I will try to get this up and going again, so I can tell you all kinds of fantastical things that are going on in my life, and hilarity that surrounds me on a daily basis.

Plans for the weekend:
80's Party, God my getup is good, get ready for pictures next week.

But this I found interesting today as I was driving the 5 minutes to work and listening to NPR:

K7, aka Lummi, the Oldest Killer whale (probably in existance) is reparorted missing from K pod. She is the Matriarch. Orcas are kind of like Elephants in that way, the Alpha Female basically is their wealth of collected knowledge. Orcas aren't technically reported as dead until they have been missing a year, but for a matriarch to be missing is unusual. What is CRAZY about this particular whale is how old she was.

Take a guess.


98. You heard me. A 98 year old gammy whale. DAMN. She saw WWI subs- now that's old. I had no idea they lived that long. According to the Friday Harbor Whale research Center, old is usually 50, but I guess a lot of calves die early so that brings the ratio down.


Another fun factiod about our whales. The local Puget Sound pods only eat salmon and fish... not so killer. But those crazies who come up from Cali, they will eat your babies, provided you dress your baby up like a seal and flap around in freezing waters. We all know babies are delicious, but they take it to a new level.


I found this article in the Vancouver Sun about Lummi


They like to hang out by San Juan. Who can blame 'em? They are cute too.

We were up there looking for them on this day, and almost went to Pender, buy they were just out of reach ://www.whaleresearch.com/thecenter/2008_Encounter_028.html


Subscribe