Pages

Don't blink. You'll miss it.

Mongol Rally

So my friend Kyle is doing the London to Ulaanbaatar (Ulan Bator) motor relay race- and I could not be more jealous.

So jealous I don't know how much of a post I can write. I want to go to Mongolia so bad- but doing it in an adventure format like this?! My problem is I never just have enough balls to up and do it.

Maybe when I get a second wind later I will post more, but until then... it is a neat event-- crazy overland race in crappy cars- they also have one they do in Africa. They also have an awesome Mongolian derby done a la horse back which reminds me of a story during the heyday of the Mongolian empire which exemplifies the efficiency of the empire of the day:

The Mongolians were basically sitting outside the hills of Vienna (sensing they didn't want to conquer anymore) and a diplomat asked for them to take him to their leader as fast as possible. So they put him on a horse and sent him riding. Every so often they would come to a switching post, and they would switch him to a new horse and a new companion- but he didn't get to stop. I believe he rode for three days straight like this until he reached inner Mongolia with a sore butt to be sure.

Mongolian efficiency for ya.

Here is the race website:

And here is Kyle's website for their team

Subscribe