Pages

Don't blink. You'll miss it.

Reasons I Hate LA

Let me count the ways...

This list could be infinite.

Sometimes when I see a movie in theaters I really like I briefly consider becoming serious about acting again. I was in this frame of mind after seeing a certain nerd-tastic movie recently, until my brother called. We were sitting around watching reality tv (celebrity apprentice being one of my dad's favorite past-times these days) and we paused the TiVo to listen to the EP McGee on speaker phone- another McGee family tradition.

So he's doing a contract job for a small production house which will remain nameless even though you have never heard of them anyways. Basically they are incompetent, and colossal doo-doo hit the fan and they blame the nearest person for all of their troubles. Now, I stick up for family- but when a family member does something inappropriate or wrong in a business setting, i have no qualms telling them so. In this instance, however, my brother was in no way responsible for their incompetence and lack of brain power and foresight. Not only does scapegoating just irritate me, but the general lack of self admission of guilt in this instance- which i feel is rife in the production community, drives me insane. That is why I left LA. I am not taking a fall for your stupid ass decisions. There is a reason I am not surprised the famous Producer I worked for in LA hasn't made any of the projects we were working on back in 2005/2006.

It is hard to convey in words the loathing in every sense of my being I feel for these idiot production types whose sole purpose in life it seems is to make everyone else's life miserable.

Basically after that conversation with my brother- and how miserable these idiots were making him, i realized, or rather remembered, LA sucks.

I guess if you are talent the situation is different. You are separate from the annoying silly head games and backstabbing of office producing by your agent who deals with those idiots for you and keeps you isolated- if they are any good at their job. The actors and/or directors usually seem to have a good time doing it- but man- even my sister's good friend who was a VP at Dreamworks finally quit because he couldn't take the incompetency anymore.

I loathed having to take the blame for idiotic decisions which in turn would reflect poorly on me even though my idiot boss had made the bad choice and it would effect MY career path. "you have to work your way up Alana". Having things thrown across the room and verbally abused on a daily basis is not anything that anyone should put up with from an employer. "everyone puts up with behavior like this". bullshit- if they do they are just as stupid as the people they are working for. I met a couple decent producers when I was there who didn't treat their underlings like crap- but they were few and far between. I had the power to totally screw my producer over had i wanted- they should understand that and treat their employees like human beings. Carrots rather than sticks. I don't think they understand that concept because they are too self absorbed.

What I hate about LA is the mentality that behavior like this is acceptable, and even standard. The world does not revolve around you, get over yourself.

I also dislike the people in LA. Maybe not all, and this is a generalization, but I once dated this huge black rapper trapped inside the body of a 5'6" Jewish kid from LA who lived across the street from Elijah Wood. He got kicks out of pee-ing on elijah's car. seriously? I know this kid still, and like him, but really?

The moment I knew i had to get out of LA was when I was training the kid who was going to take over my position for the producer in Eisner's old teak lined office. He was more obsessed about box office gross then anything actually happening in the world of consequence- that and he called Scarlett Johansson 'fat'. I almost punched him. He was not good-looking and was not allowed to call her fat- i'm sorry.

The only way I could live in LA- would to be were my brother lives in Santa Monica. In a bungalow surrounded by Lemon trees 5 blocks from the beach- possibly dating or friends with Nathan Fillion, Zach Quinto and NPH.

I heart Fillion and Quinto- so pictures of them!

Subscribe