Pages

Don't blink. You'll miss it.

Beer Friend Edamame!

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday after work that it was still light by the time I got home, and actually kind of warm- for March in Seattle.

I have not done much container gardening in the past- pots were for flowers in my opinion, of which I have little use for- but veggies in containers?!  There is a great blog I follow by Willie Galloway who is the West Coast editor for Gardening magazine (I'll have to double check on the publication) and appears on KUOW gardening panel every Tuesday at 10am- which conveniently is when I am headed to work- so I get to hear most of it in the car.  Her blog is www.digginfood.com, her twitter is also digginfood- she has wonderful ideas on how to grow edibles in an urban landscape and maximize space.  She also has some awesome recipes.

So Willie inspired me to try to start container gardening- also because the ground at our place in Greenlake sucks, and if we are renting I don't feel like spending the time or $ on raised beds.  I plan on planting a lot of veggies at my parents house in Edmonds because they built me about 4 or 5 raised beds years ago, and we grew lots of stuff last year.

Anyway, we planted some early lettuces, garlic is up from last fall, radishes, spinach- stuff that can tolerate our cool springs.

What I am most excited about is the Beer Friend Edamame I planted in one of our long containers.  I planted some last year around a trellis in Edmonds, and I got a few to come up and give me a few morsels of deliciousness- but it was not in a particularly good patch of soil- so I won't be making that mistake again.

In Washington State trials this particular variety was really prolific in our environment.  I know Pullman is not Seattle, but they made reference to Pacific northwest climate- so I am assuming they ran some trials on this side of the mountains.

Beer friend, aptly named because it is much loved with beer in Japan, I am hoping will do well- i am really excited by it- I'll keep you posted on progress in the garden

On a sadder note- my mushrooms seem to have stopped sprouting- which is irritating, I should have at least 3 more crops out of them....

Subscribe