Pages

Don't blink. You'll miss it.

Economics Lesson Part 1

So I am taking Macro and Micro Econ this summer and this was just something interesting we discussed, nothing I haven't thought of before but thought I would make a post about it


Dressing in the Global Economy:

Take a minute and look at what you are wearing.

What are you wearing?

Where did it come from?


Okay now that you have those answers, here are mine:


I am wearing flip flops, tilt jeans, and my arsenal jersey.

So where were my flip flops made....

The rubber for the soles had to come from somewhere. So-- In order for me to be wearing these flip flops right now, some indigenous family of the Amazon had to guide some industrialist representative trough the jungle to his plantation of Rubber trees that take let's say 7 years to mature. Then in a factory in Guangzhou they were attached to the leather that came from a Bolivian Cow with silk thread shipped in today from Hubei Province-- and then were shipped to wherever the hell i bought them.

My Jersey is Cotton from Upper Egypt that was shipped to Cairo and then to Taiwan where it was manufactured combined with dyes from India and then shipped to Piccadilly Circle in England where my Mom flew to, bought it and brought it back to Seattle.

My Tilt jeans are made from cotton imported partly from Uzbekistan (the world's 5th largest producer of Cotton) and partly from cotton grown outside of Savannah. The buttons are made of copper that was mined in Peru's Ayacucho and then all shipped to some place like Gary, Indiana and then shipped out to Hawaii- which is where I actually bought this particular pair of jeans.

-Why do we call them pairs of jeans, pairs of pants--maybe it stems from when pant legs weren't attached? Doesn't that just make them ass-less chaps?

Anyway, just an interesting observation about global economy and nothing is ever as simple as it seems.

Subscribe